Saturday, July 26, 2008

Environmentally Friendly Blog

A friend of mine recently asked me why I chose the hideous black background option for my blog. I'll admit that there are several other background template options that are more appealing to the eye; however, I chose the "hideous black background" because it makes a step (albeit tiny) towards saving energy. I got the idea from a Google subsidiary site named Blackle. Blackle is essentially the same thing as Google except for the fact that it has an entirely black background on it's homepage and whenver it returns search results. Their explanation for their background coloring, which is derived from a report prepared for the United States Department of Energy, is as follows:

Blackle saves energy because the screen is predominantly black. "Image displayed is primarily a function of the user's color settings and desktop graphics, as well as the color and size of open application windows; a given monitor requires more power to display a white (or light) screen than a black (or dark) screen."
Of course Blackle is saving a whole lot more energy (738,156.650 watts per hour to be exact) than I am because of the popularity of Google, but I consider my "hideous black background" one very small step in the right direction.

No comments: